Is your home ready for the holidays?
Have you decked the halls with boughs of holly? (Fa la la la la, la la la la.)
The holidays can be a perfect opportunity to spend time with loved ones, create lifetime memories, and even show off those new countertops and entertainment upgrades you are secretly (or not-so-secretly) proud of.
So, what’s the trick to not stressing out during this time?
We have tips for stress-less holiday entertaining that’ll hopefully make it a bit easier and a more enjoyable experience for you and your guests.
5 TIPS FOR STRESS-LESS HOLIDAY ENTERTAINING
1. PLAN. PLAN. PLAN.
Some of the stress of entertaining is centered on the unrealistic expectations we place on ourselves as the host.
Especially when we don’t ask for help.
Here are some key reminders to help alleviate any unnecessary pressure:
- Simplify your expectations and focus on a few essential pieces to the party. This will help provide clarity and allow you to move forward with certainty instead of confusion.
- Craft a plan with clear intentions. This can help keep you on task and away from all the dazzling distractions this holiday can conjure up.
- Create a plan and stick to it. Changing your mind too often, or second-guessing can wreak havoc in the long run.
- Properly plan for shopping and what you’ll need, etc. Done right, this may leave you with more time to focus on things that truly matter to your guests.
2. DON’T STRESS TO IMPRESS
Don’t stress to impress—aim to leave your guests with a feeling of authentic joy, fulfillment, and cherished memories.
Impressing others can be an impossible task, and like most impossible tasks will leave you exhausted and unfulfilled.
And who needs that when trying to entertain? No way, we say!
Focus on these reminders for a stress-less entertaining season:
- A successful gathering isn’t always about doing a million spectacular things, but rather a few important things really well. Find and focus on those things.
- Create reminders that keep your mindset and intentions clear and on point. Write it on the fridge, use sticky notes, or make a mantra that keeps you from falling into overwhelm.
- If possible, avoid the mindset that puts all the burden and stress on your shoulders. Be open to asking and receiving help.
3. MAKE FRIENDS WITH TIME
Another way of thinking about this is asking, “What would my future self thank me for doing now?”.
- If you can make it or do it now, do it now. Procrastination is future stress.
- Break the big picture down into tasks, prioritize those tasks into steps, and walk to the party one step at a time.
- If possible, make the appetizers ahead of time and let them chill in the fridge; you’ll thank yourself later when you can tweak the tinsel before guests arrive rather than panic over the prosciutto.
4. KEEP DECORATIONS SIMPLE
With countless holiday decorations out there it’s easy to want to implement them all.
This can lead to a very cluttered and uncomfortable environment.
Too much décor can leave guests feeling like they’re in a lavish museum rather than a welcoming and comfortable home.
Keep decorations simple, where possible.
Something as unassuming as the smells of cinnamon, pumpkin spice, apple cider, and festive foods are all that’s needed to make a room feel warm and cozy.
5. BE A GUEST
Amidst all of the planning, shopping, cooking, prepping, and fine-tuning for stress-less holiday entertaining, it’s easy to forget to enjoy yourself and partake as a guest as well.
Guests may prefer the host sit and have a conversation with them rather than run around and tend to the punch bowl all evening.
Perhaps you hire someone to refill drinks and appetizers, as well as help with clean-up when the drinks have dried up and bedtime is calling.
A successful host is one who can enjoy the company they invited to the party without passing out on the couch mid-sentence!
If you enjoy hosting, please use these tips for stress-less holiday entertaining so you can create lifetime memories with those you love.
Have any questions?
Need help with your home design project?
Stop by the Sol Granite showroom today and let us help you bring your design dreams to reality!
4804 Dillon Drive (Behind Texas Roadhouse)
Pueblo, CO 81008